ASK A COP — What to do in case you are in a crash on non-public property – Port Arthur Information

All motorists must be aware that the first day in the Port Arthur Independent School District for students returning to school from summer vacation is Wednesday (August 11th). We need to adapt our driving behavior and our preparations for an earlier departure to your daily journey, as our roads will have a higher number of vehicles on the lane due to school traffic. Prepare to encounter yellow school buses that have stopped and activated their flashing red lights and stop signs. Remember, if you are leaving late, expect to arrive late!

Matt from Holland asks: Is it true that the state of Texas has a driver’s license denial program for those who are behind on child support? Can you please explain

Reply: YES YES YES, the state of Texas launched its program on September 1, 2016 to prosecute unsecured parents who are behind with child support payments. A person who is at least six months in arrears with the payment of child support can no longer renew a vehicle registration. Remember, the state attorney general will send you a notice within 90 days of your renewal stating that you CANNOT renew your vehicle registration with your local motor vehicle authority until you contact them first. Your battle is NOT being with the Department of Motor Vehicles, so don’t go there and request a renewal. There will be absolutely nothing they can help you with. You will need to contact the Attorney General – 866-646-5611 – to make requests for payment. There are other ways the Attorney General’s Office suspends people for at least three months of alimony, such as driver’s licenses and permits, which range from medical, dental, and legal licenses to hunting and fishing permits.

Mary Lou from Port Arthur asks: What information do I need to provide if I drive a vehicle on private property and the other vehicle is unoccupied? Do i have to stay Should I leave my insurance details, name and phone number? Please give me the correct answer. I’ve heard a lot of different answers and now I’m not sure what the real answer is.

Reply: This is a law that not many motorists know about or do not adhere to. If you drive into an unattended vehicle, the first thing you should try to find the driver of that vehicle, if time permits. If you cannot find the driver, you should park him in a conspicuous place or clearly display your NAME and ADDRESS as well as a brief description of the event. YES, failure to provide this information is a violation in Texas whether the vehicle is unattended on private property or a street. If you leave the scene of the crime without providing the above information and the damage to the unattended vehicle is $ 200 or more, you may be charged with a Class B misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to 180 days in prison and a fine of $ 2,000 in a conviction is connected to court. If you’re in an accident and the second vehicle is empty, stop and leave your information. See Texas Transportation Code 550.024

Tim from Port Arthur asks: Let’s say I am driving on a two-lane road (one lane in each direction) that has a speed limit of 70 mph and the vehicle in front of you is 60 mph. Would it be legal or illegal if I briefly accelerated beyond the speed limit with enough distance to safely switch to an oncoming vehicle? Is this “OK” in Texas or would I break the law?

Reply: – As licensed drivers of motor vehicles, we SHOULD all be aware of the SPEED of the vehicles we are inspecting at all times. Our vehicles will only do what we tell them to do. We need to recall the response from last week’s Texas Transportation Code 545.351, which said, “A driver must NOT drive at a speed higher than is reasonable and prudent under the circumstances.” This is a wonderful question because I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard the excuse, “I just got past someone”. My rule of thumb that I practice while driving is, “If I overtake other vehicles on the road, I need to check my speed.” One of two things will be certain, either they are driving well below the speed limit or I am driving over the speed limit Speed ​​limit.

If you decide to overtake a vehicle, you are allowed to pass within the stated maximum speed. If the vehicle in front of you is going 100 km / h and the maximum speed is 70 km / h, you don’t have to feel like a turtle on the road. State law in this situation still allows you to drive up to 10 mph faster than the vehicle you are passing or 70 mph and stay within the legal limits of the law. Tim, I’m not sure how old you are, but those of us who have been on this earth for a few days can remember when the top speed on our freeway was 55. The slogan at the time was “55 and stay alive”. A lot of drivers feel like they will be run over when going slowly so just join the crowd and SPEED. We all know that we cannot control another driver, it is a full time job to control our driving behavior.

Join me, Officer Rickey Antoine, for Ask A Cop live on KSAP 96.9 FM The Breeze every Tuesday from 1pm until we finish discussing the Ask A Cop article. Tune in over the Internet at If you have any questions, please call us live at 409-982-0247. Remember to email any questions at [email protected], by phone at 409-983-8673, or by mail to: Ofc. Rickey Antoine, 645 4th Street, Port Arthur, Texas, 77640. Whenever you see me in public, you can always “Ask A Cop!”

Comments are closed.