Easy methods to Plan Visitation Throughout a Keep at Residence Order

blog home custody of children custody during quarantine

Posted by Thomas Huguenor on Mar 30, 2020 in Custody

California is currently under a quarantine order as requested by the governor’s office, which has restricted travel to essential services and restricted public gatherings. All families deal with effects in different ways, from children in school to avoiding outdoor or leisure activities. However, there are many questions for divorced or separated parents about custody plans and whether they can move their child between households.

Covid-19 shelter-in-place order

As seen in other countries around the world and some cities in the US, COVID-19 can spread rapidly in public places, from shopping malls to gyms to airports. Social distancing, which can vary from self-quarantine at home to keeping everyone within six feet of each other, has shown some effectiveness in fighting the spread of the virus. Because of this, California Governor Gavin Newsman has issued an executive order to close all non-essential businesses for the time being, prohibit large indoor gatherings, and impose travel restrictions on non-essential activities.

What is “important” during the COVID-19 quarantine? Well, the California State Public Health Office has outlined several essential services that can be left open, including:

  • State and local government services, including law enforcement, postal services, and emergency response services
  • Hospitals, doctor’s offices, and urgent concerns
  • Grocery stores, farmers markets, convenience stores and pharmacies
  • Restaurants offering takeaway and delivery options (dinner is prohibited)
  • Gas stations
  • Banks
  • Laundry service
  • Day care center for parents who work in essential areas

This is a statewide regulation that takes precedence over all local laws. At this point, you are legally permitted to visit these types of companies and services. However, it is recommended that you practice “social distancing” when going out, such as going out. B. to keep a distance of two meters to other people.

Schools are also closed and many parents who are unemployed during this period stay home to look after them. Daycare is still open for parents who work in an important industry, and you can have a babysitter come over. However, you should do everything possible to maximize your child’s health and safety. In addition to the businesses you can visit, you can also travel to look after a family member or friend who needs assistance due to an illness or disability.

Can I transfer my child during travel restrictions?

While there are no restrictions or exceptions specifically to sharing a child between parents, California residents are allowed to leave their homes to take care of family members. This category falls into making sure that your child can spend time with his or her other parent – or that you can spend time with your child. Therefore, you can follow your current custody plan without restrictions.

However, if you work in the medical field or are at high risk of developing COVID-19, you can consider changing your custody plan temporarily to keep your child safe. If your child becomes ill with the disease, doctors may direct you to quarantine them to prevent the other parent from getting sick.

Ultimately, your child’s health and safety should replace your custody plan. Both parents should agree to follow social distancing practices and hang out with friends or attend large gatherings. This is especially important if your child has a weakened immune system such as asthma.

You can also consider alternative types of visits if you are concerned about exposing your child to the virus. Video chats, phone calls, and even letters are a better alternative for exposing your child to the virus. Services like Discord, Zoom, and Netflix Party are popular ways to watch movies and TV shows for separated families.

If another parent disagrees with a custody plan or ignores the shelter-in-place order and you fear your child will be exposed, please contact a San Diego custody attorney at Huguenor Mattis, APC. We can act as a go-between for you and the other parent to ensure that you both understand your legal obligations to protect your child’s health. The San Diego Courts are also open to a limited extent to process emergency orders, and our law firm may be able to file an emergency temporary detention order. Call us at (858) 458-9500 to see what options are currently available to you.

Comments are closed.