Kids in custody: Visiting youngsters in custody

You must arrange your visit first. Contact the secure center to find out what you need to do.

Who can visit

Family members and friends can ask to visit. If you’re under 18 you have to be accompanied by an adult.

People whose job it is to support the child, like a social worker or legal adviser, can visit them at any time.

When you can visit

Each center will have specific times for visiting. They will tell you when these are, and you will not be allowed to visit outside of these times.

How often you can visit

Usually, you can visit a child once a week if you are a family member or friend, but this can vary.

How many people can visit

Generally, 3 people are allowed at one time. If you want to bring more people, you will need to get permission first.

Getting help with travel costs

Family members can sometimes get help with the costs of visiting, such as train tickets or petrol.

There are different rules for claiming money back depending on where you visit.

Travel claims for visiting a young offender institution (YOI)

Contact HM Prison and Probation Service to claim for a visit to a YOI.

Travel claims for visiting a secure children’s home

Contact the child’s youth justice service to claim for a visit to a secure children’s home.

The document ‘AVS1 – Assisted visits scheme information for relatives’ will give you information on this. You need to complete form AVS2.

Travel claims for visiting a secure training center (STC)

Call the STC you’re visiting on one of the following numbers. Ask for the STC monitor – they’ll tell you how to make a claim and what it covers.

  • Oakhill: 01908 866 021
  • Rainbrook: 01788 528 806

Find out about call charges.

You may get help claiming the cost of a train journey before you travel. You can also claim back the cost of your travel after your visit.

You could get help with registered childminder costs if you have young children.

If the child is on remand

Contact the child’s youth justice service, who can organize a visit.

You cannot get help with your travel costs if the child you’re visiting is on remand.

Comments are closed.