A domestic abuser who threatened to cut his throat and smash cars claimed his ex-partner had not allowed him to see his child since he started a new relationship.
The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty to Rockhampton Magistrates Court on May 25.
Prosecutor Sergeant Michael Phillips said the defendant sent the victim a Facebook message at 8.09 a.m. on May 21 and tried to call her several times.
He said the news threatened the victim and her friend.
Sergeant Phillips said the police were called on May 24 at 2 p.m. about an incident. The victim told the police that the defendant had been there, threatened to smash everyone and yelled that he had seen his son.
He said the defendant threatened to “cut throats” and “smash cars”.
Sergeant Phillips said police found the defendant when they intercepted a vehicle at 5:24 p.m. on May 24th.
Defense attorney Joanne Madden said the 30-year-old defendant had no violence convictions on his criminal record.
“He just started seeing a new partner and this upset the (victim),” she said.
Ms. Madden said the defendant was upset because the victim stopped giving him time with his son.
She said the defendant had worked seven and seven since March.
“He admits he has trouble problems,” said Ms. Madden.
Magistrate Philippa Beckinsale said that some maturity is expected at 30.
“They don’t act properly and make threats like this,” she said.
“You can’t be blind to the media outreach about people making threats.”
Ms. Beckinsale said this would be the last time the defendant would avoid jail time.
She placed him on a 12-month suspended sentence and convictions were recorded.
Comments are closed.