Pupil killed in taking pictures at North Carolina highschool, suspect in custody: Police
All other students were safe and the campus was secure.
September 1, 2021, 10:53 p.m.
Read for 4 minutes
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterSend this article via email
A high school student has died after being shot Wednesday at Mount Tabor High School in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, authorities said.
The victim was identified by authorities as William Chavis Raynard Miller Jr.
After a lengthy search, a suspect was taken into custody “without incident,” said the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office about six hours after the shooting, which was reported around noon, on Twitter. Further information was not immediately available, despite the fact that authorities had previously indicated that the suspect was also a student.
“We have a mother and a family who cannot hug their child tonight,” Winston-Salem police chief Catrina Thompson said at a press conference.
A woman screams as she arrives at Mount Tabor High School in Winston-Salem, NC, 30 minutes after the school was shot, September 1, 2021.
No one else was shot, authorities said, but some students suffered from trauma-related health problems, including one student who was having a seizure.
The school was closed immediately after the shooting, police said. Once the campus was secured, the students were sent to a local grocery store to meet with their parents, the Forsyth County Sheriff’s office said.
The police said that the school was not currently known to be at risk.
Agents from the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives responded to the scene.
Kiwannie James Sr. wipes his eyes as he waits to learn about his son after a student was killed in a shooting at Mount Tabor High School in Winston-Salem, NC on September 1, 2021. James learned that his son was safe about 10 minutes later.
Police officers search the Foxhall neighborhood behind Mount Tabor High School in Winston-Salem, NC, following a shooting that killed a student on September 1, 2021.
The school year in Mount Tabor only started last week.
North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper noted in a tweet that this was the second school shootout in the state that week. A 15-year-old was injured in a shooting at New Hanover High School in Wilmington on Monday.
“Our prayers go out to the victims, their families, and all of the students at Mt. Tabor High School in Winston-Salem,” Cooper tweeted. “We have to work to ensure the safety of students and teachers, arrest the shooter quickly and keep weapons away from the school premises.”
Comments are closed.