Useful resource Information for Kids with Developmental Disabilities

Children with developmental differences often need additional services to promote their physical health and mental well-being. However, researching and connecting with specialists and other service providers can sometimes feel like a full-time job for parents and caregivers.

This guide is intended to make your work a little easier. The following resources can help you locate healthcare professionals, specific services, and sources of funding to help cover costs.

Accurate diagnosis and an effective multimodal treatment plan are important for all people with developmental differences or disabilities. Here are some best practices for finding health services for a child.

Connect with national organizations

One of the most effective ways to find services is through organizations that are dedicated to specific conditions.

Search for specialists

If you need a healthcare professional who specializes in the treatment of a specific disease, try these listings:

Under the Disability Awareness Act (IDEA), your child may be eligible for educational and therapeutic services through the school district. Part B of IDEA regulates services for school-age children, while Part C regulates early intervention services for babies and toddlers from birth to 36 months of age.

These organizations can help you understand your child’s rights and rights, and help you stand up for your child in meetings with the school:

  • Center for information and resources for parents. Nationwide parenting education and information centers offer parents and caregivers workshops, webinars, and assistance in helping children in schools, including IEP and 504 meetings.
  • US Department of Education. Your state’s Part B and Part C coordinators and their contact information can be found on the Department of Education website.
  • Wrightslaw. This legal group offers a Yellow Pages directory for children where you can search for trained lawyers to guide you through the special education process and even to attend parenting meetings with you.

Children with developmental differences are protected by law. In addition to IDEA, the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), Affordable Care Act (ACA), and many other state and local laws were enacted to ensure that children have access to safe, affordable, and equitable health and education services.

If you would like to find out more about your rights and the rights of your children, you can contact one of the following organizations.

Families and caregivers can devote thousands each year to caring for children with developmental disabilities and differences. Below are some resources to help you cover the cost.

Private foundations

These organizations offer scholarships and grants in varying amounts. Some may be restricted to residents of certain geographic areas.

Government programs

The US government offers financial assistance and health insurance through several agencies to eligible families. Many state and local governments also have financial assistance programs and health services.

Social security benefits

Children with a developmental gap who are disabled can receive monthly payments from the Social Security Agency. To qualify, your child must earn less than $ 1,304 each month in 2021. The monthly limit for a blind child in 2021 is $ 2,190.

Some of the conditions that are typically eligible for Supplementary Security Income (SSI) benefits are:

To apply for SSI benefits for your child, you can call 1-800-772-1213 or visit the Social Security Office in your area of ​​residence.


If your child is eligible for SSI benefits, they may be automatically enrolled with Medicaid. Even if your income is not within your state’s Medicaid limits, there are other avenues to Medicaid coverage, including waiver programs that lower or eliminate qualified income limits. Contact your state’s Medicaid office to apply for coverage.

TheThe Medicaid Benefit Package includes a wide range of services and support to make life easier for children at home with their families. Many of these benefits are not fully covered by private health insurance. Here is a brief overview of the services normally covered:

  • Doctor visits
  • Hospital stays
  • X-rays
  • Laboratory tests
  • Medication
  • regular eye, hearing and dental exams
  • physical therapy
  • Occupational therapy
  • Speech therapy
  • Behavioral health services
  • medical equipment

Depending on the severity of the condition, Medicaid may also provide long-term support services such as nursing, assistive technology, and case management by a social worker to coordinate care.


Children under the age of 18 can qualify for Medicare Part A, Part B, and Part D if they have end-stage kidney disease. Young adults between the ages of 20 and 22 with developmental disabilities can qualify for Medicare if they have had SSDI benefits for 24 months.

If your child developed a disability before the age of 18, is not married, and at least one parent is on social security benefits, they may qualify for Medicare even if they have no work experience.

Medicare licensing requirements can be complicated. To find out if your child is eligible for insurance, apply online or call the Social Security Office where you live.

Child Health Insurance Program (CHIP)

The CHIP program provides lower-cost health insurance for people whose incomes are too high to qualify for Medicaid coverage but not high enough to be able to afford private health insurance. Like Medicaid, CHIP is a federal and state-run program.

These national organizations offer a wide range of services. They are a good place to start when looking for providers, services, and support.

If you’re a parent or caregiver who cares about the health and well-being of a child with a developmental disorder, you are not alone. You will find support, services, and evidence-based treatments to help your child thrive.

Although services can be costly, utility programs, grants, and scholarships offered by public and private organizations can make it easier to provide the services your child needs.

Comments are closed.